Copyright 2018 Electrical101.com All Rights Reserved.
Wire connectors are used to connect two or more wires together. There are many types of wire connectors, the most common are twist-
IDEAL Industries first wire connector is called wire-
Wire connector size depends upon the wire gauges and number of wires connected together. Wire connectors packages show the minimum and maximum wires and sizes allowed. Avoid using the minimum and maximum sizes and numbers. Check out IDEAL Industries UL Listed Wire Combinations PDF file.
Tan Twister Commonly used to connect 2 to 3 #14 or #12 wires.
1. Turn power off.
2. Strip wires, usually about ½ inch for two wires. Strip about ¾ to 1 inch for more than two wires. Lead stranded wire(s) beyond the solid wire(s) by about 1/16 inch(1.6mm).
3. Align frayed strands and conductors.
4. Hold wire ends together evenly.
5. Insert wires into connector and screw on until the connector stops twisting.
6. Lightly pull on each wire to ensure the wires are secured inside of the connector.
The connector should stop twisting after step 5. If it does not stop twisting or if a wire comes loose when pulling in step 6, undo the connection and start over again. Another size connector may be needed to make a proper connection.